Influenster Canada was so kind to send me the new Covergirl Total Tease Mascara and Katy Kat Eyeliner to try out and review for free! Sweet deal! It’s the first time anything has ever been sent to me so I am over the moon with excitement! I posted an unboxing and first impressions on my Instagram stories a week ago and have been using the mascara for a week to really test it out! Here is my review:
Unboxing & Initial Thoughts
Initially I was on the fence – I haven’t used drugstore mascaras in a long time – they usually make my eyes itchy, they smell bad and I don’t like how the mascara looks when its applied. I’m also all about the bristle brush because my lashes are quite thin and need a good brush – the plastic ones just don’t do a good job. However, this mascara changed my mind real quick:
I really like the plastic brush! With the thicker formula, it packed on a lot at once and the little bristles on the end were absolutely PERFECT for brushing out any clumps and coating the tiny hairs a normal wand can’t reach. It also gave me craaaazy length! I don’t normally have long lashes – I’ve been using the Rodan and Fields Lash Boost to grow my lashes super long but this mascara just adds so much more drama!! I love it!
To put this mascara to the true test, I swapped it for my usual Marc Jacobs for a week. I curled my lashes, applied about 2 coats, and checked on it through out the day. What I liked about it:
- The formula is quite thick and very black, so it really coated each lash generously
- The little baby brush allowed me to get to the baby hairs which I normally can’t reach with a normal brush
- The formula dries fast – I noticed this because I sneezed mid application and it was already pretty much dry
- My lashes stayed curled! This formula is thiiick and after two coats, you’re set. It’s staying in place! I checked my lashes through out the day and found they stayed curled almost until I had to wash them off at the end of the day (12-15 hours later)
- Hardly any fall out – maybe it had something to do with being a fresh tube of mascara but I found almost no fall out or transfer onto my oily lids
- Makes my lashes look super long and fake-lash like – like a Snapchat filter.
- It’s easy to take off with just water at the end of the day
- And of course, no irritation or lash fall out (yes – I’ve had that happen before and its the worst!)
What I didn’t like about it:
- Although this plastic tooth brush wasn’t like most that I’ve tried, it still make my thin lashes clump together as one. A bristle brush allows to really brush out the formula, while this brush deposited a lot of thick formula and left it there to brush out with the small brush on the end. It took a long while to brush out all the clumps evenly in the morning!
- It gave me spidery X-tina lashes everyone rocked in high school in the 2000s. This is where I think the drugstore and higher end go their separate ways – my MJ mascara builds volume at the base of the lash but then it tapers at the end to make it look more natural. This mascara just coats it all in one go and it looks more like fake lashes. Nothing wrong with it at all but for my daily makeup – I like to go more natural. This mascara made me feel like I needed to bake my face and put on some bomb highlighter to make my face more complete. Maybe for someone with thicker lashes, this won’t be the case and won’t look so severe like it did on me.
Overall – I actually really like this mascara and would buy it when I needed a fresh tube! Influents also sent me a Katy Kat eyeliner in Shimmer which is a sheer black metallic pencil eye liner with a smudger on the other end. On the last day of testing, I applied it just on the top line and it make my eyes pop and lashes look even thicker with the Total Tease mascara. Together, they make a great pair! It also stayed put after it dried! I’d love to try the other liner colours they have in this collection!
Have you tried this mascara yet? Leave a comment if you have! I would love to read your opinions! 🙂
Once again – thanks to Influenster Canada for sending me the Covergirl Total Tease mascara and Katy Kat eyeliner for free to review!