Most of us have experienced defeat when it comes to acne – a stubborn pimple or several breakouts that you simply cannot control. You’ve tried every remedy you have – tea tree oil, benzyl peroxide, salicylic acid, that blue acne scrub, etc., but nothing seems to be taking it down. I’ve been there many many times. When I’m literally about to throw in the towel, give up and just pick at it (DO NOT PICK AT IT!!), I bring out these heavy hitters:
- Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Masque – I tried a sample after getting an Eminence facial (highly recommend!!) and I was very impressed. Eminence products are very effective and are made with the best fresh ingredients. Lactic acid, kaolin clay, tea tree, antioxidants are just some of the many key ingredients that work together to bring down inflammation and help relieve acneic skin. Use as directed for only 5-10 minutes. Even if you feel like its still really working, make sure to wash it off for the best results. This mask brought down inflammation and helped a few pimples disappear. Its a bit on the pricey side, but if you’ve literally tried it all – this will be worth it.
- Peter Thomas Roth Acne-Clear Invisible Dots – Unfortunately only available at the U.S. Sephora, these babies are magic little workers. I find these work best on very deep and stubborn pimples – those ones that you have to wait forever to come to a head. All you have to do is sticker one on a pimple (clean skin) and leave it on – overnight or all through the day. They are clear so you can actually see your stubborn pimple dying 🙂 They are highly addictive so I recommend you buy the big pack! This is amazing for someone who loves to pick at pimples. Don’t pick at it as it will scar which will last much much longer if not permanently! Just put a sticker on it and forget about it!
- Andalou Blue Geranium Creamy Clay Mask – Unfortunately, this item is discontinued! But its an excellent clarifying mask with geranium. Geranium oil is antiseptic and helps with controlling bacteria. It is also tightening and cooling which makes your skin feel less irritated. This mask is discontinued, but I have seen it at local health food stores that stock Andalou. Also the price can’t be beat!
A few other things that I find help during a breakout:
- Hydrate your skin and drink water – Load up on that hyaluronic acid! I know you really don’t need me to tell you that, but right now its important to drink double to really clear up your skin.
- Take fish or salmon oil supplements – This is more long term but I calmed down my breakouts by balancing out the bad acne causing oils with good oils, like salmon oil. Read more about my acne clearing journey in the #NoCleanserChallenge routine.
- Reduce dairy and sugar intake – This is a big one for me. Both of them cause inflammation.
- Don’t touch your face – I struggle with this one a lot. I always catch myself touching my face while sitting in traffic, watching tv, etc. Don’t spread that bacteria.
- Splash your face with ice cold water. Many times. – You want to reduce inflammation as much as possible. As well as tighten your pores and this really does help.
- Change your pillowcase, towels, anything that touches your face – Removing any possibility of transferring bacteria is very important.
- Bacne? Get a back scrub brush and a good soap – Conditioner from your hair drips on to the skin on your back and its likely you can’t reach far enough to scrub away that conditioner. Get a back scrubber with a long handle and make sure to really clean after washing your hair.
- Don’t pick at it – I promise you that the massive throbbing pimple is the absolute least of your worries if you have untreatable scars on your face from picking at a pimple that would have eventually gone away. You will be kicking yourself after, I promise.
- Watch some Dr. Pimple Popper videos on YouTube – There is almost nothing less appealing than watching a cyst being drained. After force watching some of those videos, I start to gag at the thought of picking at my own face.
- Stop focusing on it – There is really no point in getting stressed over a pimple if it was stress that put it there in the first place. Watch some Chelsea Handler and chill out for a minute.
Keep calm and don’t pick at it.